Help Share this Mayweather vs Cotto Website

Search

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Kelly Pavlik hopes to win after alcohol rehab

Kelly Pavlik (36-2, 32 KOs) was eyed for stardom after his sensational knockout against Jermain Taylor for the middleweight championship in 2007. His last fight, a year ago against Sergio Martinez, was a lopsided 12 round beating. Many believed a rematch against Sergio Martinez would be nice but Pavlik went back into alcohol consumption and got addicted.



He stayed for two months at the Betty Ford Clinic for alcohol abuse this year and he now feels rejuvenated after completing the rehabilitation program.




Pavlik, 29 years old, will appear in the undercard of the Pacquiao vs Mosley fight. He will be up against an undefeated fighter by the name of Alfonso Lopez (21-0, 16 KOs). Both Pavlik and Lopez have knockout power in both hands and this fight is expected to end early. Even though Pavlik has a higher fan base than his undefeated opponent, he still needs to win the fight to get more opportunities in boxing.



After his first loss to Bernard Hopkins, who also trains with Shane Mosley’s coach Naazim Richardson, Pavlik was up against less popular opponents – Marco Antonio Rubio & Miguel Angel Espino – then he fought Martinez and lost again.

When asked about his alcoholism, he answered this “I’m not one to make any excuses to say that’s what hurt my career, because I wasn’t doing it while I was training,” said Kelly Pavlik in an interview with miamiherald.com. “I can easily make it a great excuse, but in my opinion I don’t see it as that. As of now, I think the big difference is I’m able to focus more clearly on my career and take everything serious. I think that’s going to be the big difference now when compared to the past,” he added.

Pavlik, managed by Cameron Dunkin, believes that he best fights not as an undercard but a main event. He will try to prove to the boxing fans that he still has the power to win it.

“It’s definitely a second chance,” Pavlik said. “Even after being off for a year and a half, to be on the undercard is a pleasure of mine and an honor. I’m just worried about getting back in there and performing and moving on with my career.” he exclaimed.

Kelly Pavlik, is a resident of Youngstown, Ohio, United States and is also known as “The Ghost”. His stance is orthodox and he is rated at super middleweight. He boxed a total of 165 rounds and his KO percentage is 84.21.

Mayweather vs Ortiz on September 17, 2011 and Pacquiao vs Marquez on November 12, 2011